For Real: My response to Lucid Dreaming

I’ve always been fascinated with the phenomenon of Lucid Dreaming.  The first time I heard of such a thing is back in high school when I was very impressionable and I remember thinking how amazing of thing that is.  Well I think I tried to train myself to do it for awhile but most of the time I fall dead asleep and I just don’t think my unconscious is stable enough to maintain that required level of “waking consciousness”.  I don’t mean I’m crazy or anything but usually my awareness of self is substantially diminished in the dream state.  I believe Hobson comments on the suppression of ego in sleeping insofar as there is no self of sense which enables such nonsense to occur often rampantly.  I mean who wouldn’t disregard and awaken from such apparent absurdity.  This rather ties into Freud’s theory of dreaming as sustaining sleep.    LaBerge stresses that it takes somewhat of a severe commitment inasmuch that you need to successfully reassess the means by which you externalize reality.  If ever I have the time again, I would truly love to dedicate my time to achieving this lucid state.   The connection he makes with “awareness” and “enlightenment” is appealing for who wouldn’t want to be more aware of “reality”.   Life often seems so absurd and incomprehensible so to attain such awareness in state of pure sleep would be more than life changing.  It’s almost in a sense as to realize that this “reality” is rather meaningless.  I mean through lucid dreaming you can have endlessly more profound and interesting experiences.  The thing that gets me is this lack of self that is normally associated with dreaming.  I could never imagine being able to feel as if awake in a dream and function accordingly, believing my reality to be truly real and then possessing the means to alter and create REALITY-  my god but wait wouldn’t i be somewhat of a god then.

Published in: on May 1, 2010 at 2:07 am Comments (3)

The URI to TrackBack this entry is: http://tsixetnodsirhc.qwriting.qc.cuny.edu/2010/05/01/for-real-my-response-to-lucid-dreaming/trackback/

RSS feed for comments on this post.

3 Comments Leave a comment.

1. on May 11, 2010 at 1:03 pm sharonbox Said:

“…believing my reality to be truly real and then possessing the means to alter and create REALITY- my god but wait wouldn’t i be somewhat of a god then.”

that’s why I think that there is no lack of “god” in buddhism: the “god” is the psychically highly achieved state of self. From a psychoanalytical standpoint (in a negative light), the lucid dreamers can be seen as controling and aggressive— creating and ruling the dream empire.

2. on May 23, 2010 at 7:07 pm Yume Said:

Trying to control your dreams is not easy and sometime when you become that you are dreaming, it sort of feels like a fluke. But if that happens, try to do something. Maybe you can even follow La Berge steps. It took my friend almost 6 months to learn to become aware and more than a year to actually do something. So try not be discouraged, good luck.

3. on May 24, 2010 at 2:54 am Happy Landings Said:

Ok so a very late comment on a very compelling entry. I thought Waking Life, if not obvious haha, was such a good complementary text to LaBerge. And what sort of reality exists for a lucid dreamer? I don’t know that the potential purported to be unlocked is necessarily aggressive or indicative of being proempire. That sounds like waking criteria seeping into dream. Or maybe I believe too strongly that we’re intrinsically good. Or something… Anyway, I wonder where instincts and most immediate wills fit in and how they fit in or manifest themselves in such a constructed world.